Time resolution in Emacs

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Time resolution in Emacs
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 08:34:04 -0700

On 4/22/22 23:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

There are Gnulib library functions to
deal with this sort of thing; it's not a new problem.

Doesn't that slow down applications?

Not significantly, no. file-attributes already has the file's filesystem ID and timestamps so Emacs can easily cache that (it's a small cache with only one entry per filesystem). There's no need to traipse through the filesystem looking at other files. This is what coreutils does and it works well in practice. It's not expensive and not that complicated.

Your suggestion of maintaining a static table for known filesystem types is a good one; we could do that to improve common cases. I would like to take a look into doing this. If successful, it should improve coreutils and other GNU apps even if Emacs makes no changes in this area. In the meantime I'll withdraw the proposed changes that would cause Emacs to communicate OS timestamp resolution to the user; that sort of thing can wait until after I've had that look (assuming I ever find the time :-).

what about other sources of time data?  For example, timestamps
from other systems (like in your NTP example), timestamps that are
reported by Tramp functions, etc.?  How do we reliably estimate the
accuracy of those?

For example, if Emacs imports from the network a timestamp with three digits after the decimal point, it should convert it to an internal timestamp with millisecond resolution. Conversely when sending a textual timestamp, Emacs should generate only as many trailing digits as needed. This sort of thing is not perfect (nothing to do with timestamps is :-), but it is better than losing whatever resolution information is available.