Re: master 4a1f69ebca 2/2: Use (TICKS . HZ) for current-time etc.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 4a1f69ebca 2/2: Use (TICKS . HZ) for current-time etc.
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 14:17:40 +0200

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> I asked here when this code was added years ago. I also surveyed code
> in ELPA at the time. As I recall, it appeared that it wouldn't be that
> much of a problem and that any fixes would be simple. (My memory is no
> doubt biased. :-)
>
> The CIDER bug is now fixed
> <https://github.com/clojure-emacs/cider/commit/7506cc4613a5b71e5246fd83de347185b5d49c42>.
>  FWIW
> the unfixed CIDER code didn't always work in Emacs 28 and earlier
> either, though its bugs there were intermittent.

I think there's a high likelihood that users have many snippets of code
out there that are doing maths on the result from `current-time' (which
used a well-defined and documented format), and that code will break.
Packages like CIDER can be fixed, of course, but I think we'll be
putting our users through a lot of pain here.