Re: [ELPA] Add fontaine package?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Add fontaine package?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:41:10 +0300

> From: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:23:56 +0300
>
> >  . It uses internal-set-lisp-face-attribute, which is an internal
> >    primitive, something I'd suggest to avoid.  Why can't it use
> >    set-lisp-face-attribute instead?
>
> I do not have 'set-lisp-face-attribute' on my end (Emacs 29, GNU/Linux).

Sorry, I meant set-face-attribute, of course.

> >  . On MS-Windows, fontaine--family-list-variable-pitch returns nil,
> >    whereas fontaine--family-list-fixed-pitch returns a list of font
> >    families that include both fixed-pitch and variable-pitch fonts.
> >    That was due to a bug (which is now fixed on master), but this will
> >    not work reliably in older versions of Emacs.
>
> Is there something we can do about this beside documenting it?

On older versions of Emacs, only if you manually test each font for
being fixed-pitch, instead of relying on x-family-fonts to do that
correctly.  See the change I did in artist.el for how this could be
done.

> >  . IME, the list of fonts returned by x-family-fonts may include fonts
> >    that aren't appropriate for use by Emacs, so caveat emptor.
>
> I expected as much.  Is there some way to find only the appropriate
> ones?

I found in the past that the following produces reasonable results:

  (delete-dups
    (x-list-fonts "-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1" 'default frame))