Re: [ELPA] Add fontaine package?

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Add fontaine package?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:02:16 +0300

> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:41:10 +0300
>
>> From: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 11:23:56 +0300
>>
>> >  . It uses internal-set-lisp-face-attribute, which is an internal
>> >    primitive, something I'd suggest to avoid.  Why can't it use
>> >    set-lisp-face-attribute instead?
>>
>> I do not have 'set-lisp-face-attribute' on my end (Emacs 29, GNU/Linux).
>
> Sorry, I meant set-face-attribute, of course.

The reason I did not use it is due to what we discussed in bug#45920.
Basically, set-face-attribute needs to be evaluated twice when (i) we
change the :family, (ii) change the :weight, and (iii) the new family
does not have the weight of the previous one.

The example I used in that bug report, which I can still reproduce with
emacs -Q:

   ;; Sample 1
   (set-face-attribute 'default nil
                       :family "Source Code Pro"
                       :weight 'light)

   ;; Sample 2
   (set-face-attribute 'default nil
                       :family "Hack"
                       :weight 'normal)

Evaluate sample 1.  It works.  Now evaluate sample 2.  Notice that it
does not yield the expected result.  Evaluate sample 2 again: the result
is the desired one.

By using internal-set-lisp-face-attribute, I specify the sequence of
events that always works.

Perhaps there is a better way to handle this edge case?

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com