Re: Surprisingly high use of file descriptors

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Surprisingly high use of file descriptors
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 09:13:27 +0200

    Stefan> Robert Pluim [2022-05-04 17:22:27] wrote:
    >> But for those people who insist on using LSP with large codebases,
    >> Emacs's use of 'select' is somewhat limiting.

    Stefan> [ Thanks for working on this, I'll let other comment on the patch,
I'm
    Stefan>   just curious here:  ]

    Stefan> Why would ``lsp-mode` or `eglot` consume anywhere near 1024 file
descriptors?
    Stefan> Are they launching a separate LSP server process per buffer?

They use filenotify.el to watch for the changes to all the files in
their project, which on some platforms consumes a file descriptor per
file (at least macOS, and anything kqueue based like FreeBSD). On
other platforms it uses one per directory, and Iʼm sure people have
codebases with >1024 directories.

Robert