Re: 1024 file descriptors should be enough for anyone

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: 1024 file descriptors should be enough for anyone
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 13:35:51 +0200

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Attached an initial attempt at using poll() instead of select(), and
> bumping the open filed descriptor limit to 10240.

That's wonderful.

> Comments welcome (I can stick it on a branch if needed). Things that
> could be done:
>
> - make the upper limit either statically or dynamically configurable
>   (on GNU/Linux in theory you could have 1e6 open descriptors)

I think that would be nice.

> - a feature flag
> - dynamic switching between poll and select

I guess those could be handy when debugging, but I don't really envision
any users would want to twiddle this stuff (famous last words).

Anyway, I think sticking this on a feature branch so that a few more
people can give it a go (before merging) would be good.