Re: windows Emacs-version issue

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: windows Emacs-version issue
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 15:56:00 -0500

Hi Glenn, Thanks for the reply.

On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 3:48 PM Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> I think the point being made here is that binary releases, like source
> releases, should be version tagged, and once uploaded, should not be
> replaced in-situ (because that eg breaks checksumming, and is generally
> confusing). IMO the binaries uploaded to ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows
> should have some extra version string added to the filename, and it
> should be incremented if a new build is uploaded. Eg
> "emacs-28.1-version1.zip".
>
> Ref https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2022-04/msg01108.html
> for replacement of the original Windows files.

The Windows binaries are created from the same source archive as is
posted in the parent directory for the given Emacs version.  When I've
replaced the binary sett  it has been to resolve issues with the
build/packaging process.

That said, I'm open to discussing new/additional conventions for
naming that signify when the build occurred within the filenames if
people generally thing that is helpful -- personally, I'd tend to find
it confusing: I'd expect to find only one set of binaries for a given
version (notwithstanding the new set that includes debug symbols, of
course)..

Perhaps others will weigh in.