Re: No bug-report address for OSM packge

From: Daniel Mendler
Subject: Re: No bug-report address for OSM packge
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 09:58:11 +0200

>> I recently started using OSM, and I like it -- but I have a suggestion
>> to make: a list of transliterations into the Roman alphabet, so we can
>> recognize names in countries that use other scripts.  (This would not
>> be trivial to implement, I think.
> What do you think of my transliteration idea?

Transliterations are indeed an important usability feature. There are
two places where we may want transliterated names:

1. The search currently returns the results in the language of the
locations which have been found. For now I added the customization
option `osm-search-language` which can be set to a language code. The
geolocation server then returns the results in the given language.

2. The labels in the default international "Mapnik" map are displayed in
the language of the region. Osm.el comes with multiple preconfigured map
servers which render the map in different ways. For example the
"Mapnik(de)" server renders the labels in both Latin script and the
local language. You can select a different map server by clicking on the
"Mapnik" button in the header-line. As an alternative, the completion
command `osm-server` is bound to the key `v`.

Is this helpful? Do you have other places in mind where we would like
transliteration?

Daniel