Re: No bug-report address for OSM packge

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: No bug-report address for OSM packge
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 19:39:46 -0400

  > Yes, this requires an internet connection. Setting up the map rendering
  > and map data base server locally is a major undertaking. I don't
  > recommend it if you are not already intrinsically interested in the
  > OpenStreetMap project itself, e.g., if you are a OpenStreetMap server
  > administrator or developer of the free server software. As of today, the
  > current full OpenStreetMap data dump in the form of an XML file has a
  > size of 115GB. If you decompress this file it blows up to about 1.5TB.

Indeed, that would be big.

I have an idea.  If you set up a division of the world into zones, the
user could specify a zone to search within.  The amount of data needed
for one zone could be practical.  If there are 20 zones roughly equal,
one zone decompressed would be around 75GB, less than a local copy of
English Wikipedia.  I carry that with me.

It would be smaller if it used a more compressed format.

I think this is not quite on the topic or emacs-devel.
Where is the best place to discuss this?