Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 23:57:48 +0300

From: Stefan Monnier<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org>,theo@thornhill.no,casouri@gmail.com,
   emacs-devel@gnu.org
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 08:16:48 -0400

Dmitry Gutov [2022-05-08 15:05:06] wrote:
On 08.05.2022 09:18, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
While doing so, we should be aware and beware of the potential
copyright issues.  It is best for someone to read the code and
describe the ideas, and for someone else to implement those ideas
without looking at the code.
We're talking about borrowing from Free Software editors, aren't we?
And we're not talking about borrowing code, but talking about sharing
the*format*  of the indentation and highlighting rules.
AFAIU, we are just waving hands, because what code will be borrowed
and whether it will be is anyone's guess at this point.  So I just
wanted people to be aware of the issue when they borrow ... whatever.

Atom uses format like:

https://github.com/atom/language-javascript/pull/608/files

Support for it was implemented in https://github.com/atom/atom/pull/18321/ (but it would be easier to reimplement that in Elisp than try to "export" it via some kind of JS translation).

https://github.com/emacsmirror/tree-sitter-indent/blob/master/tree-sitter-indent.el is an existing third-party package for Emacs for Tree Sitter which does that. Though they seem to copy the indentation rules by hand (for now, only for Rust and Julia, it seems).

It should be possible to automate the latter export, though as long as the rules fit on one screen, manual translation should remain feasible.