Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 14:18:10 +0300

> Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 23:42:41 +0300
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, theo@thornhill.no, casouri@gmail.com,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
>
> On 08.05.2022 16:21, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> We're talking about borrowing from Free Software editors, aren't we?
> > You want to ask developers of those editors to assign copyright to us?
> > If they agree, the problems I mentioned indeed won't exist.
>
> That ignores my whole point (Atom being Free Software).
>
> We do import externally maintained pieces of code from time to time, and
> the particular feature under discussion depends on such code anyway
> (Tree Sitter).

Building Emacs against an external free library, or using an external
application for some Emacs-related job, is not what I had in mind.  If
this was your point, then I didn't ignore it, I just described an
issue with a different way of "borrowing" code: directly copying code
into our sources.  That cannot be done unless the author agrees, and
for substantial amounts of such code we need a copyright assignment.

I just wanted people to be aware of this.  It is better to be aware of
that up front than to use the "borrowed" code in a submission to
Emacs, just to learn that we cannot accept such a submission.