Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 10:38:33 +0200

    Uwe> I might give it a try but what is the syntax in teh authinfo file

    >> The auth-source info documentation has plenty of gory details

    Uwe> I am just digging in, not that clearly written or at least my use case
    Uwe> is not easily found.

Now Iʼm hurt, I tried to make those docs clear :-)

If you tell me which bits are unclear, we can rework them.

    Uwe> My original setting is
    Uwe> machine smtp.gmail.com login oub@ucm.es port 587 password passwd
    Uwe> machine UCMgmail login oub@ucm.es password passwd port  imaps

    Uwe> Tassilo suggested

    Uwe> machine imap.gmail.com login USER@gmail.com password APP_PWD force
    Uwe> yes

    >> Most fields in .authinfo are optional, so

    >> machine foo login bar
    >> machine foo login bar port baz

    >> are both legal. For gmail I have

    >> machine imap.gmail.com login USER password APP_PWD port imaps

    Uwe> Ok what confuses me if it is better to use smtps or specifying the port
    Uwe> directly as in 587, or 465.

Either will work, Emacs will convert from the string representation to
the integer one. These days I think 'submission' (587) is preferred to
'smtps' (465), except that smtp.gmail.com doesnʼt do TLS on 587, only
STARTTLS, so I stubbornly stick to 465.

Robert