Re: unable to upgrade from emacs 27 to emacs 28

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: unable to upgrade from emacs 27 to emacs 28
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 09:35:40 +1000

John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> writes:

> Hi.  I tried to upgrade my emacs from 27 to 28, but I get lots of
> errors in my .emacs file.
>
> The errors seems to be around these lines:
>
> (require 'package)
> (add-to-list 'package-archives
>                  '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/";)
>                  (when (< emacs-major-version 24)
>                       ;; For important compatibility libraries like cl-lib
>                         (add-to-list 'package-archives '("gnu" .
> "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";))))
> (package-initialize)
> (setq max-specpdl-size 22000)
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/el-get/el-get")
>
> (unless (require 'el-get nil 'noerror)
>   (with-current-buffer
>        (url-retrieve-synchronously
>
> "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dimitri/el-get/master/el-get-install.el";)
>     (goto-char (point-max))
>     (eval-print-last-sexp)))
>
> (add-to-list 'el-get-recipe-path "~/.emacs.d/el-get-user/recipes")
> ;(el-get 'sync)
>
> (defconst user-cache-directory "~/.cache/emacs/")
> (make-directory user-cache-directory t)
>
> (use-package mime-play
>   :config ;https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WlFaq#toc42
>   (setq mime-play-find-every-situations nil
>         mime-play-delete-file-immediately nil))
>
> (use-package mime-view
>   :init
>   (add-hook 'wl-summary-mode-hook
>             (lambda ()
>               (local-set-key "\C-c\C-o" 'wl-summary-view-html)))
>   :config (setq mime-view-text/html-previewer 'shr
>                 mime-situation-examples-file (concat user-cache-directory
> "mime")
>                 ;https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WlFaq#toc42
>                 mime-view-mailcap-files (concat user-cache-directory
> "mailcap"))
>
>   ;; Functions
>   ;; Reading HTML mail
>   (defun wl-summary-view-html ()
>     (interactive)
>     (save-excursion
>       (wl-message-select-buffer wl-message-buffer)
>       (let ((done nil)
>             (mime-preview-over-to-next-method-alist
>              `((wl-original-message-mode . (lambda ()
>                                              (setq done t)))))
>             type subtype)
>         (while (not done)
>           (setq type (cdr (assq 'type (get-text-property (point)
> 'mime-view-situation))))
>           (setq subtype (cdr (assq 'subtype (get-text-property (point)
> 'mime-view-situation))))
>           (if (and (eq type 'text)
>                    (eq subtype 'html))
>               (progn
>                 (setq done t)
>                 (mime-preview-play-curjrent-entity))
>             (mime-preview-move-to-next)))))))
>

> The first error was the use-package line.
>
> Is there some further upgrade tasks I need to do to get this working?

Yes - how about actually including the error messages
so we have some clue?

Based on available information, my assessment is the upgrade failed
because your socks were the wrong colour.

On a serious note, I would go through the NEWS and PROBLEMS files for
Emacs 28 to see if that gives some guidance. If the errors are
associated with the parts of your init you have posted, it would
indicate all are related to externally maintained packages which are not
part of Emacs. It could be these packages need to be updated to be
compatible with Emacs 28 or it could simply be that failures early
(especially around el-get) are causing installation of other external
packages to fail. Again, without knowing what the errors were, we have
no clue.