Re: master 620ac67355: EUDC: Add completion-at-point support

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 620ac67355: EUDC: Add completion-at-point support
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 18:06:33 -0400

> +;;    The first mechanism is intended for use by the modes listed in
> +;;    `eudc-capf-modes', and relies on these modes adding
> +;;    `eudc-capf-complete' to `completion-at-point-functions', as
> +;;    would be usually done for any general-purpose completion
> +;;    function.  In this mode of operation, and in order to offer
> +;;    email addresses only in contexts where the user would expect
> +;;    them, a check is performed whether point is on a line that is a
> +;;    message header field suitable for email addresses, such as for
> +;;    example "To:", "Cc:", etc.
> +;;
> +;;    The second mechanism is intended for when the user modifies
> +;;    `message-completion-alist' to replace `message-expand-name' with
> +;;    the function `eudc-capf-message-expand-name'.  As a result,
> +;;    minibuffer completion (`completing-read') for email addresses
> +;;    would no longer enabled in `message-mode', but
> +;;    `completion-at-point' (in-buffer completion) only.

Could you contrast the behavior of this new code with the one we get
from `message--name-table` (i.e. when setting
`message-expand-name-standard-ui`)?

Looking at the code in message.el it seems it should provide a fairly
similar behavior.  It seems to do similar caching, uses
(eudc-query-with-words (split-string orig-string "[ \t]+")) like your
code, tho your code passes an extra t arg to "try-all-servers".
Maybe message.el should also use that?

Any other difference?

        Stefan