Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: gmail+imap+smtp (oauth2)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 10:52:50 +0100

On Tuesday, 10 May 2022 at 17:51, Tim Cross wrote:
> Of course, the real solution here is that schools/universitites should
> just get out of the business of providing email services to students.

Although I agree with this sentiment, we are told (in my institution) to
always communicate with students using their "official" email, for the
same reason you give for staff having an institutional email:

> Email is considered official records of the institution, so it is fair
> enough that the email account you get as a staff member is actually
> part of your work relationship with the institution and not your
> private email.

We do need to evolve to universal email addresses, not just for staff.
But there are many reasons why this will not happen including anonymity
when desired.

My main problem with all of this is that most institutions are choosing
one of either MS or Google to provide the services, and neither has a
particularly good track record in following any standards.  Hence making
it difficult for those of us not using their preferred access
methods/tools.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-05-10) on Debian 11.3