Re: master 9b762c35a1: Add Sefirot to Omer counting

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 9b762c35a1: Add Sefirot to Omer counting
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 14:49:41 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: ecbrown@ericcbrown.com, enometh@meer.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 05:04:32 -0400
>
>   > That'd mean any holiday should be excluded, since holidays almost
>   > always are "specific things some groups customarily DO on specific
>   > named days".
>
> We are miscommunicating.  The holidays listed in the Emacs Calendar do
> NOT describe things to _do_ on that day.  Not even the religious ones.
>
> "Christmas" does not state what you should do on that day.  "Easter"
> does not.  "Yom Kippur" does not.  "Chanukkah" does not.  "Eid el
> fitr" does not.  "Martin Luther King Day" does not.  Those holidays
> are associated with customs, but what we state in the Emacs calendar
> is the holiday name only, NOT customs.

But then neither do the names of the Parshiot.  They just name the
Bible chapters, they don't tell what one should do with them.  E.g.,
it is customary to say in Hebrew "Saturday of Breishit", to identify
which Saturday is that (there's only one such Saturday every year).

More generally, what holiday name means is in the eyes of the
beholder.  "Yom Kippur" and "Eid el fitr" may mean nothing to someone
except the name, but may mean the world to someone else, including
_exactly_ what should be done or not done on that day.

> I believe my criterion
>
>   > > The natural place would be between
>   > > (1) identifications/names of specific days, and
>   > > (2) specific things some groups customarily DO on specific named days.
>   > > The first is part of the calendar; the second is an adjunct used with
>   > > the calendar.
>
> would not call for removing anything that is included now.  If you think it
> would call for removing something, what precisely?

I already said: every holiday matches (2), IMO.