Re: Proposed removal of struct frame->select_mini_window_flag.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposed removal of struct frame->select_mini_window_flag.
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 19:19:49 +0300

> Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 15:56:28 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> I came across struct frame->select_mini_window_flag while looking at bug
> #55414.
>
> More accurately, my attention was diverted for over an hour, trying to
> work out how this boolean could be maintained in a consistent state,
> given that it gets splatted to false every time Fselect_window gets
> called.
>
> Then it dawned on me that the variable has no function - if the
> mini-window is the selected window, this is fully represented by struct
> frame->selected_window's value.
>
> So, I propose to remove this variable and all its "uses".  Does anybody
> object?

I don't think I follow.  Did you see this fragment in frame.c:

  sf->select_mini_window_flag = MINI_WINDOW_P (XWINDOW (sf->selected_window));

  selected_frame = frame;

  move_minibuffers_onto_frame (sf, for_deletion);

  if (f->select_mini_window_flag
      && !NILP (Fminibufferp (XWINDOW (f->minibuffer_window)->contents, Qt)))
    f->selected_window = f->minibuffer_window;

How will this logic work without that flag?