Re: How to set Emacs as default app on Windows (10)

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: How to set Emacs as default app on Windows (10)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 10:53:42 +0200 (CEST)

> Il 22/05/2022 07:52 Eli Zaretskii ha scritto:
>

> > Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 03:08:43 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: Angelo Graziosi
> >
> > Usually I start Emacs with a link in the task bar which has as target:
> >
> > C:\Users\utente>C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "SET
> > path=C:\msys64\mingw64\bin;%path%&& SET PRELOAD_WINSOCK=1&& START /D
> > ^"C:\Apps\Emacs\bin^" runemacs.exe"
> >
> > So trying to open a .tex file from explorer, when it asks with which
> > application I want to open that file, I browsed until the bin folder of
> > Emacs and chose emacs.exe. But in this way, if I had stated Emacs from the
> > above link, it opens another frame (and loses also a bit of graphics) and
> > the result is not very good...
> >
> > Reading https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsMsWindowsIntegration I tried
> > this
> >
> > >From a DOS box I started the Emacs client adapting the above target:
> >
> > C:\Users\utente>C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "SET
> > path=C:\msys64\mingw64\bin;%path%&& SET PRELOAD_WINSOCK=1&& START /D
> > ^"C:\Apps\Emacs\bin^" emacsclientw.exe -c -n -a
> > C:\Apps\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe"
>
> I don't understand why you needed to change that target.  What was it
> supposed to achieve, and how is that related to the issue at hand,
> which is setting up the default application to open *.tex files?

The link above seems to suggest to use emacsclientw which uses runemacs instead
to use directly runemacs..

> > and from a DOS box started as administrator, I did
> >
> > ftype CodeFile=emacsclientw -na runemacs "%1"
> >
> > assoc .tex=CodeFile
> >
> > then tried to open the .tex file from explorer. But the result is as above,
> > with another frame and losing graphics.
>
> "Another frame" or "another instance of Emacs"?  How many Emacs
> processes do you have running after you click on a .tex file in the
> Explorer?

I would say: another frame and two processes (from task manager). See the
screenshot

> > It should open the new file in a new tab in Emacs (already running with the
> > tab-line enabled) as many apps do (consider a browser with a few tabs
> > opened and double clicking in explorer on a .html file..)
>
> The tab bar conceptually holds window configurations, not buffers or
> individual windows.  AFAICT, server.el and emacsclient currently don't
> have an option to visit files in a new tab, they can only visit it
> either in an existing frame (the default) or in a new frame, if
> invoked with the -c command-line option.

OK, I rephrase the question: How to set Emacs as default app to open .tex,
.text, .c. .f90 etc. files similarly to a browser (if Emacs uses tabs...)?

If it is not implemented you should add it in ToDo list..