Re: How to set Emacs as default app on Windows (10)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to set Emacs as default app on Windows (10)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 08:52:00 +0300

> Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 03:08:43 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it>
>
> Usually I start Emacs with a link in the task bar which has as target:
>
> C:\Users\utente>C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "SET
> path=C:\msys64\mingw64\bin;%path%&& SET PRELOAD_WINSOCK=1&& START /D
> ^"C:\Apps\Emacs\bin^" runemacs.exe"
>
> So trying to open a .tex file from explorer, when it asks with which
> application I want to open that file, I browsed until the bin folder of Emacs
> and chose emacs.exe. But in this way, if I had stated Emacs from the above
> link, it opens another frame (and loses also a bit of graphics) and the
> result is not very good...
>
> Reading https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsMsWindowsIntegration I tried this
>
> >From a DOS box I started the Emacs client adapting the above target:
>
> C:\Users\utente>C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "SET
> path=C:\msys64\mingw64\bin;%path%&& SET PRELOAD_WINSOCK=1&& START /D
> ^"C:\Apps\Emacs\bin^" emacsclientw.exe -c -n -a
> C:\Apps\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe"

I don't understand why you needed to change that target.  What was it
supposed to achieve, and how is that related to the issue at hand,
which is setting up the default application to open *.tex files?

> and from a DOS box started as administrator, I did
>
> ftype CodeFile=emacsclientw -na runemacs "%1"
>
> assoc .tex=CodeFile
>
> then tried to open the .tex file from explorer. But the result is as above,
> with another frame and losing graphics.

"Another frame" or "another instance of Emacs"?  How many Emacs
processes do you have running after you click on a .tex file in the
Explorer?

> It should open the new file in a new tab in Emacs (already running with the
> tab-line enabled) as many apps do (consider a browser with a few tabs opened
> and double clicking in explorer on a .html file..)

The tab bar conceptually holds window configurations, not buffers or
individual windows.  AFAICT, server.el and emacsclient currently don't
have an option to visit files in a new tab, they can only visit it
either in an existing frame (the default) or in a new frame, if
invoked with the -c command-line option.