Re: master df1e553688 4/5: Accommodate nonstandard turbo file senders in

From: F . Jason Park
Subject: Re: master df1e553688 4/5: Accommodate nonstandard turbo file senders in erc-dcc
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 08:48:13 -0700

Hi Lars,

> Something in recent erc changes is making the EMBA build test fail.  For
> instance:
>
> https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/jobs/46150

This links to a job on my branch for fix/bug-48598, so I'm guessing you
meant to highlight something else. (More info on that specific failure
below, just in case anyone's curious.) The subject line of this email
references a commit on master. If it triggered a pipeline named after
it, I can't find it. Do you have a different link by any chance?

My initial push for that same bug set triggered this pipeline:

  https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/pipelines/18010

which didn't build anything. But since you say "build test," I'm
guessing you mean build-image-inotify (or similar), which it seems is
included in those "scheduled 3x daily" pipelines and some but not all
pipelines triggered by routine pushes.

There actually was a more recent failure on master (triggered by a push
from me) that ended in a weird timeout or hang, namely:

> Subject: Failed pipeline for master | emacs | 4d60dcd8
> Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.buildstatus
> Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 23:01:08 -0400 (1 day, 11 hours, 21 minutes ago)

> Pipeline #18061 has failed!
> Project: emacs ( https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs )
> Branch: master ( https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/commits/master )
> Commit: 4d60dcd8 (
> https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/commit/4d60dcd87c72f7b96cac04233ffb253bd79f5bb1
>  )
> Commit Message: ; Fix inevitable failure in erc-dcc test

> * tes...
> Commit Author: F. Jason Park

> Pipeline #18061 ( https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/pipelines/18061 )
> triggered by EMBA bot ( https://emba.gnu.org/bot )
> had 1 failed build.

> Job #46114 ( https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/jobs/46114/raw )

> Stage: build-images
> Name: build-image-inotify

But I don't think this is what you're referring to because there were
other, similar build failures preceding it, such as

https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/pipelines/18058
https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/pipelines/18060

and ones following it that succeeded, like

https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/pipelines/18063

So the failure(s) you're talking about must have occurred elsewhere
between 18010 and 18061. I clicked through that interval in the web UI
and couldn't find anything. Perhaps someone deleted them? (If there's an
API token I could borrow to better investigate, I have tooling made for
this sort of thing.)

BTW, the job you linked to above, 46150, failed because I neglected to
quote the `make_params' variable properly in the generated YAML document
test/infra/test-jobs.yml. And it failed in the test stage, not the build
stage. In case anyone cares, I modified that variable in that throwaway
branch to ensure my expensive tests always run, something I inferred was
acceptable from my conversations with Michael Albinus on the tracker for
bug#48598. If that's not the case, please say so. Regardless, I was
alerted to that job failure shortly after it occurred and tried to
address it promptly, as was hopefully shown by the subsequent pipeline:

  https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/jobs/46152

Anyway, I'd like people to know that ERC (and I) take these tests
seriously. So, whatever it is, we'll get to the bottom of it.

Thanks,
J.P.