Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 08:43:49 -0400

> I've been working a bit on making loaddef file generation faster (and
> easier to comrehend).  Building loaddefs currently takes about 10
> seconds (on my build machine), and I've got it down to 2 seconds.  (For
> my "make -j32" build, this means a reduction of 6% time, since that bit
> is single-threaded and make doesn't have anything else to schedule while
> Emacs is working.)

BTW, I think `autoload.el` should be extended to provide explicit
support for these things like `mh-autoloads.el` so we don't need these
ad-hoc rules.

Eg.g. I was thinking that file-local variables should be able to include
things like:

    ;; Local Variables:
    ;; autoload-extra-cookies: ((mh "mh-loaddefs.el") (tramp
"../net/tramp-loaddefs.el"))
    ;; End:

which would tell `autoload.el` to look for
";;;###\\(mh-\\|tramp-\\)?autoload" matches and depending on the exact
match put the resulting entry either in the normal `loaddefs.el`, or in
`mh-loaddefs.el` or in `tramp-loaddefs.el`.

        Stefan