Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 18:53:53 +0200

> Found a bug -- it's rebuilding Emacs a bit too much now.  I'll get
> fixing...

Well, it's just a bit more rebuildey now -- it rebuilds Emacs after
pulling even when no .el/.c files have been changed.  But that's pretty
rare, actually, so I'm not fixing that immediately.

But one thing I didn't quite consider what that this used to take:

[larsi@stories ~/src/emacs/trunk]$ touch .git/logs/HEAD lisp/gnus/gnus.el; time
make -j32
eal     0m3.210s
user    0m3.055s
sys     0m0.247s

This simulates a "git pull" that only changes gnus.el.  In the new
version, this is slower:

real    0m4.761s
user    0m4.610s
sys     0m0.249s

So while a "make bootstrap" is faster, this common case is now slower.
I'll see what I can do about that.