Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 05:55:23 +0200

> Yes, that sounds like a good idea.  We do want some of the .elc files to
> be built first (the ones that are used to convert .texi and .org files),
> I think?  So somebody has to identify those.

I had a brief peek at doing this, but the way the makefiles are arranged
here, it's not at all clear what the best approach would be.  In the
top-level Makefile we have

# This dependency is due to those doc/misc/ manuals that use .org sources.
# Depending on src is sufficient, but ends up being slow, since the
# uncompiled lisp/org/*.el files are used to build the .texi files
# (which can be slow even with the elc files).
misc-info: lisp

and indeed, without org/*.el compiled, building the org manual takes 3x
longer.  So we'd need to rearrange those to be compiled first, and then
have that target depend on that new target?  Perhaps put them in
MAIN_FIRST in lisp/Makefile, and...  er...  something.