Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 18:44:22 +0000

Hello, Lars.

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 12:53:54 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> I've been working a bit on making loaddef file generation faster (and
> easier to comrehend).  Building loaddefs currently takes about 10
> seconds (on my build machine), and I've got it down to 2 seconds.  (For
> my "make -j32" build, this means a reduction of 6% time, since that bit
> is single-threaded and make doesn't have anything else to schedule while
> Emacs is working.)

[ .... ]

While on the subject of build times, another frustrating delay happens
with the generation of .texi intermediate files from those doc files
whose source is .org.  There are two of these, modus-themes.texi and
org.texi.

The first isn't too bad, because it's small, but org.texi is taking
~20 seconds to generate on my machine (which is doing nothing else at
the time) plus, perhaps, 3 seconds for org.info.

Would it perhaps be possible to set the documentation generation going
at an earlier stage of the bootstrap, in effect spreading out the
slowness over the entire battery of processor cores?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).