Re: What to do about unmaintained ELPA packages

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: What to do about unmaintained ELPA packages
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 16:42:34 +0000

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

> To summarize, I don't have any particularly strong opinion on what should
> be done
> with Yasnippet. In fact, I don't even know what problem Philip is trying to
> solve!

To be specific, my issue was mentioned here:
https://github.com/joaotavora/yasnippet/issues/1121 ("Avoid
false-positives when expanding snippets").  In my case, I have managed
to circumvent the issue by unbinding the tab key and relying in
hippie-expand, but the solution is not elegant and I would have
appreciated a discussion on the issue tracker.

The point was not to say that yasnippet has been abandoned, just to give
an example where the liveliness of development could be questioned.

> Is it just the general idea of abandonment of the fact that people's
> issue reports go unanswered?  If the latter, then I think archiving
> the repo would make sense.  No more issue reports would come in and
> one could advertise the Emacs bug tracker.  Would that improve things?

I guess, but I think it would be preferable to call for someone to fork
the package instead of shifting the burden of maintenance onto the emacs
bug tracker.

> I do think that it's important to preserve the documentation though, as
> many people
> seem to refer to it still. Or maybe transfer it to a more GNU ELPAish
> location/format.
>
> Who knows if the description above motivates someone to pick up
> 'snippet.el', finalize it, and make a new GNU ELPA package?  Or maybe
> it motivates someone to pick up the maintenance of the existing
> Yasnippet.

Due to a sudden increase in free time available to me, I might consider
this.