Where's the explanation of the file names under /gnu/emacs/windows?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Where's the explanation of the file names under /gnu/emacs/windows?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 19:36:26 +0000

How is a user who wants to download an Emacs
binary for MS Windows supposed to know what
the various downloadable files are, based on
their file names?  It's not at all obvious to
me what the names are meant to stand for.

In that windows/ directory there's a README
file. It says nothing about this.

In windows/emacs-28 there are 8 different
files to download, not counting 8 .sig files.

We show the modified dates and the sizes,
but the Description field is empty.  No clue
as to what each file is.

Can users please get some description of
the files?  I'd suggest a Windows README in
directory windows/emacs-28 itself, which
would cover this.

I'd also suggest a better description of the
filenames on the GNU Emacs website.  E.g.,
for MS Windows, here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html#nonfree

The text there tells you about the file
emacs-version-installer.exe, which is OK.
But for the rest there's nothing, except for
emacs-version.zip.  There's nothing about
any of these files:

emacs-28-deps-mingw-w64-src.zip
emacs-28-deps.zip
emacs-28.1-DEBUG-installer.exe