Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 14:40:44 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 04:29:02 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I see it starting from 10%, and it takes longer than typical updates
> > before the change, which usually would just show 90% and then "done".
>
> In which cases?  If I
>
> touch .git/logs/HEAD lisp/gnus/gnus.el; time make -j4
>
> it just says
>
>   INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...
>   INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...done
>   GEN      loaddefs.el

I see this with the current master:

  $ touch lisp/array.el .git/logs/HEAD
  $ make -j4
  [...]
    GEN      loaddefs.el
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...26%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...53%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...81%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...done
    GEN      loaddefs.el

Why so much "scraping" lines for just one file modified?

And the example which was before my eyes when I wrote the above was
actually this:

    ELC      ../lisp/minibuffer.elc
    ELC      ../lisp/newcomment.elc
    ELC      ../lisp/simple.elc
  [...]
    GEN      loaddefs.el
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...10%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...20%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...30%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...40%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...50%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...60%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...70%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...80%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...90%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...100%
    INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs...done
    GEN      textmodes/reftex-loaddefs.el
    GEN      textmodes/texinfo-loaddefs.el
    GEN      org/org-loaddefs.el
    GEN      net/tramp-loaddefs.el
    GEN      mh-e/mh-loaddefs.el
    GEN      mail/rmail-loaddefs.el
    GEN      eshell/esh-groups.el
    GEN      erc/erc-loaddefs.el
    GEN      emacs-lisp/eieio-loaddefs.el
    GEN      emacs-lisp/cl-loaddefs.el
    GEN      cedet/srecode/loaddefs.el
    GEN      cedet/semantic/loaddefs.el
    GEN      cedet/ede/loaddefs.el
    GEN      calendar/diary-loaddefs.el
    GEN      calendar/holiday-loaddefs.el
    GEN      calendar/cal-loaddefs.el
    GEN      calc/calc-loaddefs.el
    GEN      ps-print-loaddefs.el
    GEN      ibuffer-loaddefs.el
    GEN      htmlfontify-loaddefs.el
    GEN      dired-loaddefs.el
    GEN      loaddefs.el
  [...]
    ELC      bookmark.elc
    ELC      emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.elc
    ELC      textmodes/tex-mode.elc

IOW, only 6 Lisp files and none of the C files were modified, and yet
all the *loaddefs.el files were regenerated from scratch.  (That was
yesterday at 22:40 UTC+3, so maybe you changed something since then.)