Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Reworking loaddefs.el generation
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 14:29:33 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Instead of trying to speed up this conversion, we could divide org.org
> into 10 files, and prepare a Texinfo template that has the preamble
> and a series of 10 @include's, one each for every partial file.  Then
> most builds would take 1/10th of the time we see now, since situations
> where more than one part will be modified are probably extremely rare.

I'm not very familiar with ox-texinfo, but I don't think it supports
doing something like that?  (I may well be mistaken.)

In any case, this doesn't help with the "make bootstrap" case, so it
would be nice if somebody had a look at what it's doing.  It seems like
(conceptually) it should be a very easy transform, and using 20 seconds
on a smallish (750K) file like that seems just odd.