Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 14:17:58 +0000

Hello, Tassilo.

On Sat, Jun 04, 2022 at 15:32:10 +0200, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:

> Hi Akib,

> > Packages on ELPA or NonGNU ELPA with README.org show pretty
> > description both with describe-package and web browser.  But after
> > installing a package, describe-package shows the Org source code,
> > which contains many useless things (I mean useless for showing in the
> > *Help* buffer).

> > Isn't it possible to convert README.org to plain text README while
> > compiling the package, possibly optionally?  Changing package--compile
> > function should do the job.

> An alternative would be to enable (parts of) org-mode in the *Help*
> buffer.  I've just tried `M-x describe-package RET corfu RET` which
> comes with a README.org and then enabling org-mode in the *Help* buffer.
> That looked really nice and didn't seem to cause bad effects except that
> the [back] / [forward] buttons stopped working.

No, no, no, no!  Org mode is a highly complicated, obscure mode which is
NOT part of core Emacs, and mustn't become so.  What you're proposing is
a slippery slope, where ever greater portions of org mode would get
pushed into the core, causing ever greater problems for those who do not
use org mode.

You pointed out one such problem yourself, org mode key bindings will
take up key binding space currently used by other modes and by users.

Surely the solution has got to be to encourage package authors to write
plain text (or .texi) documentation, by pointing out the difficulties
the non-standard .org format creates.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).