Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 22:54:21 +0200

>> But I don't understand the discussion this thread warped out of.  When
>> we display a README from Package, we shouldn't be showing the raw text
>> of README.org or README.md
>
> Why not?  If it can be prettified on the fly by font-lock?
>
> Separating "viewing" from "editing" is un-Emacsish, because it puts
> a barrier between the "consumers" and the "producers" whereas Emacs
> likes to try and get end-users exposed to the source as mush as possible
> so it takes little effort for them to change role.

That's true, but on the other hand, we don't show texinfo files to
people for a good reason.  That's about as "plain text" as normal Org
files, or as some Markdown files get.  (Most Markdown files are kinda
pleasant, but there's plenty of scope for unreadability -- it drops down
into HTML for tables, for instance.)

Or take doc strings as an example -- it's always been a markup language,
too (\\ and \\[] and \\<>), but it's moving more clearly in that
direction -- because we want to make the documentation we present the
user pretty and easy to read.  And we have one-key commands to take us
to the source code, which we could have in the Package README rendering,
too.