Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 17:15:55 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
> Cc: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>,  acm@muc.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 21:12:11 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> - 236 org related key bindings - far less than 785 Of these, a number are
> >> - actually remapping of existing bindings, so not new ones. This leaves
> >> 208.
> >
> > ??? How is remapping "not new"?  It takes some very common Emacs
> > commands and redirects them to different commands.  E.g., 'open-line'
> > now does something quite different.  This means the user should either
> > go learn what the Org commands do, or be prepared to be surprised.
>
> There are 3 main purposes of remappings in Org:

I'm sure there are good reasons for that.  My point is that such
remappings effectively force the user to re-learn the commands he/she
is very familiar with.  So it's a non-trivial burden.

> >> I said that for a read only buffer, many of the org key bindings are not
> >> relevant as they relate to features which are not pertinent to a read only
> >> org
> >> buffer. Any bindings relating to babel, todo management, time management,
> >> agendas etc have no relevance when reading a readme.org file.
> >
> > Then why does Org define them in that case?
>
> I am not very sure what is the problem with the number of bindings. It
> is not different from Emacs itself.

The difference is that we had years or decades to get used to the
Emacs defaults, and once Org is turned on in a buffer, one has a lot
of new stuff to get used to.  Unless Org is used constantly, you will
forget most of those changes till the next time, so this re-learning
experience will be repeated every time.

It isn't a catastrophe, of course, but we should recognize this as an
issue, especially if many of the bindings aren't needed.