Re: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README whi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:04:54 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org,  theophilusx@gmail.com,  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>   acm@muc.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:45:02 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> I don't think the slowness of processing nowadays is the crucial issue
> >> here.  Computers are much faster now than in the 1990s.  It used
> >> to take a long time for TeX to process the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.
> >> Now it is perhaps 10 times as fast.
> >
> > The Emacs Lisp Reference manual gets processed in about 15 seconds
> > here.  So 2.5 minutes required to process org.org into org.texi is
> > quite annoying.
>
> To be fair, 2.5 minutes are likely caused by unoptimized Emacs build
> because Org has to use the same unoptimized Emacs executable.

As an Emacs maintainer, I must have the development version built
without optimizations in at least one branch, because I need to be
able to debug the latest Emacs code at all times.  So for me (and I
presume other frequent contributors to the development) building and
using an unoptimized binary is a must, part of my daily routine.

An optimized build of Emacs produces org.texi in about 30 to 40
seconds here, and that is also quite annoying for a production build.
Lars recently made significant changes in our build scripts and
support code because he didn't like much shorter delays.  We build
Emacs many times a week, so these delays add up.

> So, while some generic improvements can likely be made on Org side, do
> not expect orders of magnitude improvements.

Any improvement will be welcome, thank you.