Re: Larger GC thresholds for non-interactive Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Larger GC thresholds for non-interactive Emacs
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 12:05:30 -0400

>> A "make -j32 bootstrap" went from 1m25s to 1m6s.  😀
> I wonder whether we should just have a command line option for this --
> i.e., --no-garbage-collection to be used in combination with --batch for
> jobs that aren't long-running (i.e., will exit before growing huge).

"no-garbage-collection" would be either a bug (we'd crash or be killed[*]
on long-enough-running jobs) or a lie (we'd still perform GC sometimes).

Also I hope we can first try to simply provide better defaults before
requiring manual intervention from the user.  I haven't seen any
evidence yet that the current defaults are good for batch jobs.

BTW, I seen everyone's focused on `gc-cons-threshold` but that variable
does not adapt to the heap size, so maybe we'd be better off
playing with `gc-cons-percentage`.

        Stefan

[*] Like the Org manual's build on elpa.gnu.org yesterday because its
gc-threshold was set to most-positive-fixnum and `elpa.gnu.org` only has
1GB of RAM.