Re: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README whi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 11:13:52 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
> Cc: theophilusx@gmail.com,  rms@gnu.org,  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>   acm@muc.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 15:03:19 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I see no need for such significant changes in our merging practices.
> > Rather, I hoped that the speedup you achieved will be important enough
> > to make an exception and install just it in the Emacs master branch.
>
> See the attached patches.

Thanks, I installed these, with one exception: I limited
gc-cons-threshold in doc/misc/Makefile.in to 50,000,000, not
most-positive-fixnum.  The slowdown in producing the Org manual as
result of that is negligible, and I didn't feel comfortable with
disabling GC altogether, as it caused the Emacs memory footprint go up
to 0.5GB.

These changes slash the conversion from 2.5 min to just 35 sec on my
system, with an unoptimized build of Emacs, which is a terrific
speedup.  Thanks!