Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:58:56 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
> Cc: deng@randomsample.de,  theophilusx@gmail.com,  rms@gnu.org,
>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  acm@muc.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:36:35 +0800
>
> > I don't know about "acceptable", sorry.  It is definitely "endurable",
> > but 18.8 seconds is annoyingly long for an optimized build of Emacs to
> > do anything this simple.
>
> Ok. I pushed things a bit further. The latest Org main takes ~8sec to
> generate Org manual. This _includes_ makeinfo call. Now, Org export
> takes the same time with texinfo - ~4sec on my system.

Thanks, this is awesome.  Hope to see this speedup in the Emacs
repository soon.

> > Can you find any other single command that's part of building Emacs
> > which takes a comparable amount of time in an optimized build?
>
> Optimized Emacs build takes >30 minutes on my system. Mainly because of
> native compilation.

The slowness of native-compilation is a long-standing bug report, so
I'd rather not use that as a reference for acceptable speed.  I meant
to compare with other commands run by the build.

> 40, 20, or 10 seconds spent generating Org documentation are
> negligible for me.

They aren't negligible, even in a native-compilation build, because
they happen at the end, when all the rest was already done, and no
large N in "-j N" of the Make command can help with that last long
wait.