Re: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README whi

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 18:38:45 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> It is an expression of frustration I feel each time the build needs to
> rebuild the Org manual.  I wrote it to contrast that frustration with
> what I perceived as satisfaction with this solution expressed in your
> description of the history of this.

That's not my satisfaction. I quoted the emails.
In any case, while I understand your frustration, you managed to spread
it to me at least. It did not make parsing this thread any easier.

> I really wonder how come no one on the Org list paid any attention to
> the 10-fold to 40-fold slowdown in the time it takes to build the
> manual, as result of that change.  But that's water under the bridge.

We rarely have bugs related to manual builds. I recall two in many
years.

Usually documentation is built automatically on ELPA and by our
publishing scripts on orgmode.org.

>> I just pushed several improvements to ox.el. They reduce manual
>> generation time 2x on my system (using main branch). Feel free to try it
>> on your side. AFAIU, the effect should be more noticeable on slower
>> systems.
>
> Thanks, I hope to see this soon in the Emacs repository.

Not soon. Unless you want major changes for Emacs 28.2. We restricted
stable Org branch to critical-only bugfixes until Emacs 28.2 is out.

>> It may also help if you try to profile org-make-manuals from
>> mk/org-fixup.el and share the results.
>
> If profiling can help, wouldn't it be simpler to invoke the same
> commands from an interactive Emacs session, then show the profile?

This is exactly what I meant. To run org-make-manuals from interactive
Emacs session.

org-make-manuals takes about 20 seconds on my system (for combined Org
export and texinfo invocation). Your system is clearly different and
might have different bottlenecks.

Best,
Ihor