Re: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README whi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs (was: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 17:36:56 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
> Cc: theophilusx@gmail.com,  rms@gnu.org,  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>   acm@muc.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 18:38:45 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I really wonder how come no one on the Org list paid any attention to
> > the 10-fold to 40-fold slowdown in the time it takes to build the
> > manual, as result of that change.  But that's water under the bridge.
>
> We rarely have bugs related to manual builds. I recall two in many
> years.
>
> Usually documentation is built automatically on ELPA and by our
> publishing scripts on orgmode.org.

So basically no one builds Org, including the manual, on their own
system?  Even not the Org developers?

> >> I just pushed several improvements to ox.el. They reduce manual
> >> generation time 2x on my system (using main branch). Feel free to try it
> >> on your side. AFAIU, the effect should be more noticeable on slower
> >> systems.
> >
> > Thanks, I hope to see this soon in the Emacs repository.
>
> Not soon. Unless you want major changes for Emacs 28.2. We restricted
> stable Org branch to critical-only bugfixes until Emacs 28.2 is out.

This is not needed for the emacs-28 branch, so I meant master.

> >> It may also help if you try to profile org-make-manuals from
> >> mk/org-fixup.el and share the results.
> >
> > If profiling can help, wouldn't it be simpler to invoke the same
> > commands from an interactive Emacs session, then show the profile?
>
> This is exactly what I meant. To run org-make-manuals from interactive
> Emacs session.

Then why would I need org-fixup.el?

> org-make-manuals takes about 20 seconds on my system (for combined Org
> export and texinfo invocation). Your system is clearly different and
> might have different bottlenecks.

Your Emacs is probably built with optimizations, whereas mine isn't.
The optimized version build org.info in about 30 sec, as I said, which
is not very different from your timing.