Re: emacs 29 expand command in minibuf

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: emacs 29 expand command in minibuf
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 09:37:07 +0200

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

>> I think the real problem is that after `M-x em-v TAB' expands the
>> input to "emacs-v", typing TAB again completes it to "emacs-version"
>> instead of popping up a *Completions* buffer containing both
>> "emacs-news-view-mode" and "emacs-version".
>
> +1
>
> This behavior (on different but similar cases) bytes me quite often.

Indeed, that looks at least surprising.  When you do em-v<TAB> the basic
completion style cannot do anything and so the partial-completion style
completes to emacs-v which is the common prefix of both emacs-version
and emacs-news-view-mode for this style.  But when doing emacs-v<TAB>
afterwards, the basic style can complete and only to emacs-version.

Maybe there should be a way to "lock in" a completion style, i.e., when
a more fuzzy style has computed completions in a previous step, it
should not fall back to a more strict one later in the process.  Now of
course, there are more completion-styles than those in vanilla so the
level of fuzzyness is not known for all...

Bye,
Tassilo