RE: [External] : Re: emacs 29 expand command in minibuf

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: emacs 29 expand command in minibuf
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 20:56:03 +0000

This is all a fundamental problem with the design,
which is to always fall back from one style to
another continuing to try to find a completion.

What's needed is to easily be able to choose one
or another style - during completion.

It's important to be able to know whether a given
style matches a candidate.  You may or you may not
want to try another style if the matches for one
style don't give you what you want/expect.

Better than that (being able to choose one style
at a time, on the fly) is to let you choose (again,
during completion) one or another such fallback
list of styles.  Of course, that includes the case
of singleton fallback lists: one style at a time.

I argued for this decades ago.  And it's what
Icicles offers.

The choice to go with just one list of fallback
styles (per invocation or category of completion)
is, I think, based on the assumption that you
always want to maximize the possibility of getting
a match.  And that's far from the case, in many
contexts.