Make isearch show number of invisible matches

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Make isearch show number of invisible matches
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 22:19:51 +0200

Hi,

The consult package has a command `consult-focus-lines` which is a bit like
`keep-lines`, except that it doesn't actually delete non-matching lines from the
buffer, it just hides them using overlays with an `invisible` property.

Running `isearch` in such a buffer does the Right Thing, in that it doesn't try
to move point to invisible matches. There's a slight hiccup, though, in the fact
that the pre- or suffix shows the total number of matches in the buffer,
including the ones that are not visible, so there is no way to see how many
*visible* matches there are.

Is it possible to add this information to the isearch pre/suffix? What would be
most useful to me, would in fact be if both the total number of matches and the
number of visible matches would be shown.

I assume this is currently not possible, so I would like to submit this as a
feature request.

Thanks,

Joost

--