Re: Make isearch show number of invisible matches

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Make isearch show number of invisible matches
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 22:45:47 +0300

> The consult package has a command `consult-focus-lines` which is a bit like
> `keep-lines`, except that it doesn't actually delete non-matching lines from
> the
> buffer, it just hides them using overlays with an `invisible` property.
>
> Running `isearch` in such a buffer does the Right Thing, in that it doesn't
> try
> to move point to invisible matches. There's a slight hiccup, though, in the
> fact
> that the pre- or suffix shows the total number of matches in the buffer,
> including the ones that are not visible, so there is no way to see how many
> *visible* matches there are.
>
> Is it possible to add this information to the isearch pre/suffix? What would
> be
> most useful to me, would in fact be if both the total number of matches and
> the
> number of visible matches would be shown.
>
> I assume this is currently not possible, so I would like to submit this as a
> feature request.

Thanks for the feature request, actually it's bug#40808
that's still not closed due to problems in Org mode.

And now I'm not sure if this should be implemented at all,
because displaying the number of all matches helped me
many times.  For example, it helped greatly when searching
for a text that is part of the link in Org mode, so it
provided very useful information about the real number
of matches even when these matches can't be visited.
But when isearch show that they exists, it's possible
to edit these matches using Org commands such as a link edit
with `C-c C-l'.