Re: Doc of deprecated INITIAL-INPUT arg of completing-read

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Doc of deprecated INITIAL-INPUT arg of completing-read
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 22:15:57 +0300

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2022-06-27 18:22]:
> I agree that it's not good to use it in nearly all cases, but there ARE
> a few cases where it hardly can be avoided - we have over 30 uses in
> Emacs itself.  So I want to suggest to change the docstring to warn
> strongly about the usage of that argument, but stop saying it would be
> deprecated.

For anything there must be reason. What is reason to "strongly warn"
programmer not to use it?

It is just an option as any other.

Instead, make better description what it means.

I have many use cases for initial-input, when making calls I need to
make a note, and I like entering new date and time automatically as
initial input, so that I do not need to invoke keys in minibuffer.

>From that innocent view point, I see no reason to "strongly warn"
programmers not to use a useful function.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman