Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 22:47:34 +0700

On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 at 00:36, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> If you open a file in its middle (e.g., by desktop), and there's an open
> block comment there, you've got to look arbitrarily far back to detect
> that state.  In practice parse-partial-sexp from point-min will be used,
> likely with cacheing of whatever sort.

Does fontification need to be synchronous? I.e. you open a file in its
middle, do you expect it fontified exactly and immediately on first
render?

Some well-known IDEs[^*] make do with first rendering an inexact
approximation of syntax highlighting. Then, as the user starts working
with the buffer, they may have a few thousand idle milliseconds in
which to improve the approximation.

[^*]: e.g. one that starts with “vs” and ends with “code”.