Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.

From: Immanuel Litzroth
Subject: Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 08:27:48 +0200

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 12:32 AM Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > Really?  Then please tell me how is it that we the humans can detect
> > incorrect fontifications even when shown partial strings and comments?
>
> That's usually because we can tell the difference between valid C code
> and human text and then based on that we can heuristically guess whats
> comment/strings/code.
> Our guesses can be wrong, tho.  And making such a guess without some
> AI-style thingy is somewhat difficult.
Hear, hear. Although even  AI will not be able to do that well given that any
block of C code might be inside a comment that's inside a raw string...
Also I've seen some people suggesting that treesitter might be a solution.
I did check treesitters c++ parsing earlier this year and the
syntactic information
it gave was just not detailed enough to do much with.
A happy CC mode user,
Immanuel
--
-- A man must either resolve to point out nothing new or to become a
slave to defend it. -- Sir Isaac Newton