Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 16:50:43 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 19:35:58 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 16:23:27 +0000
> > Cc: gregory@heytings.org, larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > > That just means it had been doing what it shouldn't for a very long
> > > time.  It doesn't get any good points for that.

> > CC Mode has not been doing anything wrong in accessing the buffers it
> > controls.  The idea that one should access only the characters in the
> > (BEG END) supplied by fontification_functions (and jit-lock) is false.
> > It has no basis in rationality.  And in fact, standard font-locking
> > itself accesses (via syntax-ppss) all character positions from BOB to
> > BEG.

> You seem to disagree with a major idea of the design of the Emacs
> display engine.

I don't think I do.  I think you mean the idea of lazy fontification,
though you haven't been specific.

This fontification is all about fontifying restricted areas of the
buffer.  There is no principle that one shouldn't look at distant
portions of the buffer as need be, to facilitate the fontification of
the restricted area.  This is absolutely necessary correctly to fontify
(long) strings and comments, for example.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).