Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:05:40 +0000

Hello, Lars.

On Tue, Aug 09, 2022 at 17:38:14 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

> > I can confirm that this is fast now; thanks.

:-)

> But opening the resulting file with "emacs -Q" and then doing a `M->'
> now hangs Emacs, which it didn't use to do, I think?

If you do (setq long-line-threshold nil), M-> is fast.  Only when you
omit it does Emacs hang.  Hmm.  It's meant to be the other way around,
isn't it?  ;-)

> (But `C-g' allows breaking and Emacs is responsive afterwards, so it's
> not that serious.)

What isn't so clever is that with a long line of y's, C-p, C-n, M-v, C-v
are slower than inserting the long line.  The profiler on M-v indicated
that scroll-down-command was taking 86% of the time.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).