Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 19:05:58 -0400

> Er, actually, CC Mode has been around a tad longer than the new feature.
>
> It would be more accurate to state that the new feature was, by design,
> incompatible with existing software.  The new feature, by design, breaks
> long-standing contracts in Emacs, namely that `widen', etc., work.
>
> Of course, testing could have shown up this incompatibility at an early
> stage, perhaps even leading to a solution.  A pity we didn't have more
> thorough testing.

The long-lines code is not particularly concerned with CC-mode, tho.
In my experience long lines occur *extremely* rarely in files handled by
CC-mode, so it's not particularly important if this case is handled well
or not.

> So, what do you intend to do about this incompatibility you have
> introduced?  Anything?

I think "nothing" is a perfectly valid choice at this point.

Of course, fixing CC-mode so that its font-lock (and indentation) code
doesn't call `widen` would be good in any case (also for use in MMM-mode).
I understand it can be somewhat annoying since the code that calls
`widen` might also be called from other places than indentation and
font-lock.

        Stefan