Re: Ideal performance of ELisp

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Ideal performance of ELisp
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 07:45:47 +0000

>>> ELisp code cannot match the speed of optimized C code.
>>
>> I suspect it could, to some extent, in theory.  Getting there would
>> require a fair bit more work, probably using a different compilation
>> strategy than the AOT compiler we have now.
>
> Could it be possible to embed C snippets into lisp functions directly?
> Similar to assembler snippets in C.

Inline assembler is usually just pasted verbatim by the C compiler into
the assembled output, but Lisp if Lisp is interpreted, the best thing I
can imagine would be the automatic the automatic generation and loading
of dynamic modules, which considering the call overhead involved would
rarely be worthwhile for just a "snippet".