Re: master 48ac40e60e: ; Fix last change.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 48ac40e60e: ; Fix last change.
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 21:46:58 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 14:42:28 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii [2022-08-14 21:31:38] wrote:
> >>
> >> Funny: I find this rather hard to understand compared to my
> >> original wording.  E.g. a reader might wonder what other cases there
> >> could be and why they don't return non-nil.
> > Are there other cases?
>
> Obviously, there are the cases of a process, a marker, a vector,
> ... (and even more obviously an interpreted function)

What do those have to do with compiled-function-p?  Can a process or a
marker or a vector be a compiled-function-p?

> but my point is
> that if I imagine myself as a reader who's not knowledgeable about all
> those kinds of functions, I have no idea whether those 4 different cases
> cover "all the cases except an interpreted function".

That's why there are cross-references to where they are described.

> It's not a very specific API.  It's a kind of "abstract super class", so
> in my book it should be defined not by enumerating its current
> subclasses but by giving a meaningful way to decide whether a given
> class should be a subclass or not.

Sorry, I reject the idea that abstract classes cannot be usefully
documented in concrete terms.  At least there's no excuse for not
trying.