Re: Why tree-sitter instead of Semantic? (was Re: CC Mode with font-lock

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Why tree-sitter instead of Semantic? (was Re: CC Mode with font-lock-maximum-decoration 2)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 05:06:58 -0400

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 9:23 PM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jostein Kjønigsen <jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net> writes:
>
> > But I've yet to date seen any case where Semantic or CEDET has
> > provided me with value as a Emacs end-user and programmer. Maybe it
> > works. Maybe it's useful.  Maybe it does magical things. But as far as
> > I know, it's a mode you can enable, and then .... nothing happens.
>
> That's not true.  If you enable Semantic and EDE, and add system
> includes (with semantic-add-system-include), and wait for the initial
> parse to finish after visiting a file in a project, it becomes
> immediately useful for editing C code.  It's actually what I use for my
> day job.

I think what Jostein means is - how would you know you need to take
all those steps?
I'm not 100% on what Semantic is doing for me.  I did run "make TAGS"
in the Emacs source directory, and it seems to do something, although
I don't know how much of that is Semantic versus one of the many other
packages I've loaded into the emacs dump I use.  I know I get great
completion sometimes, and I see  notifications that my Elisp buffers
get parsed by an LL parser.  The fontification is different, and the
header line is used for displaying the function scope point is in.
I added Yuan Fu to the CC per your earlier recommendation.  I'm not
sure what their role is - migrating the documentation?

Lynn